New online charities registration service

Charities can now register online with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), rather than having to use a paper form, the HMRC has announced.

Charities must be registered with HMRC to claim gift aid and other tax reliefs, and the registration process is completely separate to that used by the Charity Commission.

Up until now they have had to do so using a paper form, ChA1, but a digital alternative is now available.

HMRC said the service has in-built checks and guidance to help organisations provide the right information and supporting documentation.

To access the digital alternative visit

HMRC and the Commission have said they will move towards a joint registration process by 2016.